I must confess something: I have a steamy, sweaty girl-crush* on Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica. That’s right. I have a crush on a fictional character. A female one, at that. But damn it, I can’t help it! Sure she’s a jock, and sure she’s promiscuous. But see, she’s unabashedly promiscuous, which makes it OK. Right? Right. AND she kicks ass.
Anyway, I’ll take this moment to tell you some of my favorite and least favorite moments from the most recent episode of BSG (note the use of the acronym and how utterly cool it makes me sound):
- Tigh’s deft emptying of the highball glass at the beginning of his interview with D’Anna Biers. I also like how he raised said glass for emphasis at the end of each sentence. Tigh, you old lush, you.
- Seeing Tigh’s bitcherific wife bound and gagged. I found this deeply satisfying in a, well, bitcherific kind of way.
- Tigh having a bottle of booze poured on him while he wallowed helplessly on the floor. OK, I don’t really like to see him humiliated and in danger, but it occurred to me that the writers should have had him desperately try to lap up the booze from the floor and/or his uniform. This thought caused me great mirth. Ergo, I like the scene.
- Baltar’s adorably pathetic groveling for Biers’ attention. He’s swiftly moving to the top of my list of favorite male characters. He’s certainly the most entertaining one right now.
- Starbuck’s curt responses to Biers during her workout session with the punching bag. Is my Starbuck enchanted by her chance for on-air fame and glory? Hell no. Because she’s awesome. I’ll also add that it’s nice to see an actress be allowed to maintain a healthy weight.
Things I didn’t like:
- Why did they have to make such a big deal of Biers slyly pulling the “real” tape from her shirt? Some might argue that much of the show is predictable, but it doesn’t have to be that predictable, does it?
- After one of the characters (I think it was Tigh) called two crew members Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, my brother pointed out how odd it was that people who presumably are our ancient ancestors would allude to Lewis Carroll. I agree with him. Shame on you, writers.
- Not so fond of seeing Tigh’s arms exposed in that dreadful tank top.
So, there you have it. Can’t wait for next week.
*Please note: Girl-crushes are strictly platonic.